Monday, May 02, 2005

When you leave my colors fade to gray (or is it grey?)

First and foremost, congrats to Maya on winning the April Blog Puzzle Contest. There will not be any more puzzles until at least September, because I don't want to have any, so there.

I got back from camping yesterday, and I had a really good time with it. We were at some state park about 45 minutes southwest of Nashville, and the people who were on the trip were a lot of fun. The only thing I didn't like was sleeping, as it was really cold, and they set our tent up on an incline, over a bed of rocks, so I had to keep myself from rolling down onto other people and from rocks digging into my back. So I got maybe 5 hours of actual sleep that night, and I didn't wake up with any noticeable pain until today, when my entire body feels like I slept on a bunch of rocks. Oh wait, that's because I did.

Something we noticed on this trip: there were 2 tents, one for the girls and one for the guys. There were 8 girls, in a big tent, and when it was really cold at night they huddled together for warmth. There were 3 guys, in a smaller tent, and we had one on each end and one in the middle. See, for me, use of space was much more important than warmth. I'm pretty sure that I shivered in my sleep, and I probably lost 3 pounds just from shaking so much that night, but there was no way I was going to roll over to another guy, for so many reasons not hte least of which is the homo-whatever connotations. I think that, with guys, if there's space for us to spread out, we'll do it. Otherwise, we end up wasting all of that great space on the outsides that we could have to oursleves. I'm not sure exactly what this is all going to, but that's just an observation.

I'm done with Recording Technology now, and the only thing I have left are 4 finals, one each on Thurs, Fri, Mon, and Tues of the coming week.

Between naps last night, I was able to watch the new episode of Family Guy, and catch some of American Dad too. I loved the new Family Guy, and American Dad was OK, but still not comparable. Brian and Stewey as parents should have happened a long time ago.

I watched Vera Drake last week before I went camping, and my reaction was mixed. Imelda Staunton did a great job, and some of the other actors were decent enough, but I'm just not sure that the story warranted a feature film. Maybe a book or something where you can go further inside her mind, or maybe a Hallmark film on CBS (although I doubt Hallmark would promote something as semi-controversial as a film about an abortionist), but they definitely stretched it to get 2 hours of worthwhile material. Most of it could have been skipped or whatever. In other words, if it's a last resort, or you want to watch one really good performance, you can rent it, but otherwise I'd say skip it. There was a definite reason it was only nominated for two Academy Awards (it was somehow nominated for Best Original Screenplay, which, I found out on imdb.com, they didn't even have. It was all improvised. Another interesting fact about the film: Except for Staunton, none of the actors knew that the film was about abortion until their characters find out. Each actors only knew what concerned their characters.)

Anyway, I need to laundry again today, because that shoudl always happen after a camping trip, and I have to make sure that a poster that needs to be done for my Math Inquiry test tomorrow got done. Beyond that, it's Tiger Woods on GameCube and maybe I'll decide on a good story for the evening on here.

Peace out.
Dersu Uzala

1 comment:

P "N" K said...

I own a cube, and i'm pretty sure that since 2003 I have been addicted to "TW200X" on it. Whatever year, it doesn't matter. I'm addicted.

Yah, like on debate trips...say Agre, Kellen, Pelkey and me in a room. Two double beds. Well, two sleep on the beds, and two on the floor. This is natural. It's how things work.