Monday, September 01, 2008

Putting the "Labor" in Labor Day Weekend

Ah, what a weekend.

A couple days after I bought my house, my dad and I realized I was going to need to do some siding work. Well, three months later, it's finally done.

I spent most of the last three days working on my house (and, consequently, my tan). With a lot of help from my friends (I owe Lee more than the free food from this weekend), we were able to replace the siding on the front and right sides of the house. Here's a bit of before and after fun:

Before

Front door by you.
Between

New entry by you.
After

100_0797 by you.
Before

Front yard) by you.

After (I've got one more piece to put in above the french doors, that's what that line is)

100_0801 by you.
Before

Side patio (right of front) by you.
After

100_0803 by you.
Before

Side yard (right of front, door goes to master bedroom) by you.
Between
New window and replacement door in back bedroom by you.
After

100_0804 by you.


So, as you can see, we've made quite a bit of progress. On tap for this week is renting a power washer and cleaning off the whole house so I can paint it next weekend. Current color of choice is going to be something in the olive green family, likely a shade lighter than my kitchen and with white trim. I can't imagine what it's going to look like when I'm done with that... crazy.

Additionally, I had a fun little discovery this weekend too. I was taking the exterior insulation off of the interior of my family room (if you don't know what I'm taking about, look back at the pictures of the interior siding that came with the house), fully expecting to find plywood behind it. Instead, I found this:

100_0799 by you.

They're vertical planks that look like they are original with the house. The picture doesn't really do justice to the potential this wall has. Where I had planned on putting sheetrock, I will now be at least trying to stain and preserve the wall as a fun little diversion from the rest of the house.

And finally, nature is now enjoying the fruits of my labor:

100_0806 by you.

Precious.

No comments: