Monday, September 29, 2008

The more voices, the better?

First, before I get to my main topic, I wanted to start my series on streaming media sites. We're going to start with Pandora.

Pandora is one of the most finely-tuned sites on the web. It is technically internet radio, but it's so much more. First you type in the name of an artist or song. Then, you listen. That's how simple it is. The site creates a radio station for you based on the characteristics of what you typed, allowing you to hear not only the music you like but similar songs and artists as well. You can also get song selections even further tailored to your tastes by clicking thumbs up or down on past plays.

This site is great when you want a variety of music without wasting time creating a playlist, and also for discovering new music. It's easy to use and a great introduction to the world of streaming media.

Now, onto the topic of the day.

So apparently the world is ending. We are in the midst of the Apocalypse. And it's all John McCain's fault. Or is it Nancy Pelosi's? Or maybe Barack Obama? I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Personally, I don't think this is the fourth bowl being poured out; I think there definitely needs to be something done to help ease the impact of this situation, but I'm not sure the best thing for everyone is to hand out $700 billion for making risky business moves. I think they'll come up with and sign a bill by the VP debate, and the market will recover the losses over the next week. But the political damage may be irreparable for McCain. I think he's screwed.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. What I really want to talk about is the proliferation of the comment section on internet news articles. Of the four major networks, three offer comment sections on general news stories, while the most openly-partisan of the four, Fox News, doesn't. And of course there's CNN's dreaded iReports, which I think I've made my feelings abundantly clear on. Even my home town Brainerd Dispatch has a forums section to discuss all their posted articles.

It is my understanding that journalists should write objective news stories unless they're writing an editorial. If they're achieving this goal, presenting all sides of the issue in a rational way, is there any reason to hear what Glen in New Hampshire has to say about the story? What could he possibly add that could be considered relevant to the discussion? And, if it's news, do we even need a discussion? Shouldn't fact be fact and opinion be opinion?

Even allowing comments on the op-ed pieces is a bit of a stretch. The sad thing is the news companies are simply responding to a demand: people want to feel like they matter, like their thoughts are important. This all ties back to that unfounded sense of entitlement that more and more Americans are developing. Why can't people just accept their role, find their place in their environment and fill that void well? Is that such a bad way to live?

But please, feel free to comment...

1 comment:

Haley said...

You've got this right - the motivation behind the action is that people just want their voices to be heard, to feel like their opinion matters - however unnecessary it may be. But, that's generally the same motivation that propels us to write blogs, by the way. :)

I will agree with you on the absurdity of allowing comments on news pieces - but really? It all comes back to making money.

I have more to say on this issue, actually. But I'm having a hard time articulating it in comment form - we'll have to discuss.