Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's often the littlest of things...

The last couple of days at work have been...interesting.

I've been learning the ins and outs of a new program that allows us to process product royalties so labels can contract with us to determine who they owe what for the products they've sold. The software is mostly logical, but it involves several levels of information that all tie together in the end.

This software was also designed to work best when you import sales information rather than manually entering it. Our first client had been using the same software previously, but they had been manually entering all the statements.

So, as a result, I get to do one of my favorite things at work: create an efficiency! I know this sounds lame and all, but I've been able to take the statements I was given, develop a formula in Excel that translates this information into an importable form, and have everything come together in the program. And the fact that it works isn't my favorite part about it; the best part will be next quarter when I go to enter the statements and it takes me 6 minutes instead of 2 hours.

And it is that knowledge that makes the last three days of navigating between programs and forms completely fulfilling.

No comments: