Friday, September 05, 2008

Marching, frolicking, and football

My friend Claire works as a physical trainer at Sycamore High School in Pleasantview, about 30 minutes north of my house. As part of her job, she has to be on the sideline at all War Eagle football games, leaving her fall Friday nights completely booked. Kind of a sucky way to spend the greatest season of the year, right?

So, I've decided that I'm going to be a SHS super fan this year. I've gone to both home games so far this season, and it has been quite the experience getting back to high school athletics.

Now I love watching football, and there have been some great plays made in those two games; but my favorite part, as with all amateur skirmishes, is all the extra little things that make a sporting event an event.

There's the fans, obviously, including the over-invested parents, students who are just there because there's nothing else to do in Pleasantview on a Friday night, and the people you're not sure why they're even there (like me). Each of these groups serve a distinct purpose in creating the classic small town high school atmosphere.

Next are the cheerleaders. Over time I have become somewhat of a connoisseur of high school cheerleaders, and the War Eagle Cheer Team is actually quite effective in today's terms. They have energy, they can do a bit of tumbling and gymnastics, and they've got rhythm. That's all I ask for at this point, as my standards have become progressively lower as more and more of the best cheerleaders are choosing sports and dance instead. Not that that's a bad thing, just an observation.

And finally, my favorite piece of the puzzle: the marching band. Maybe it's because I had three sisters and dozens of friends who participated in the band, but I think the band can make or break the whole experience. Needless to say, the Sycamore band is something to behold.

They have performed the same disco medley at both half times, and I have to give them credit for having the guts to go out there for how obviously unprepared they were last week. I think my favorite part is when the flag girls twirl replica Civil War muskets while playing "Play That Funky Music". This week, the band was much better musically, but their flag girls were probably the worst I have ever seen. So incredibly awful it can't be described, so I won't even try.

This week's halftime show also featured the opposing team's band, a school I never did catch the name of. These guys were more of a frolicking band than a marching band, playing music that featured multiple solos and movements. Their presentation included some of the best flag twirling I have ever seen, switching between brightly colored banners and sequined batons like pros.

All in all, it was one of the starkest contrasts I've ever seen. And the other school went first. It was like U2 opening for Milli Vanilli. Definitely worth the drive out there, and definitely a fun enough experience to keep me coming back.

And it's finally looking like it's going to cool down in Tennessee, and you know what that means: sweatshirts and stocking caps. Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me start off by saying you are a complete moron. You left out crucial details. First you start off by saying the marching band did the same melody both half time shows. Well duh! This isn't college band they do the same routine, and just add and improve things.

Unprepared? I think not. Have you ever been in marching band before? They were marching in the rain (A DETAIL YOU LEFT OUT) the color guard marched with all their equipment to the field at the beginning of the game in the pouring rain. So now all the flags and rifles are soaking wet. Flags are very hard to spin and are weighted down when they are wet. Oh, and the proper term is spin not twirl. Only moronic retards like you call it twirling. Replica civil war muskets? Do you even know what that looks like? Well go search civil war muskets and you'll be able to tell (well maybe retards can't) they are nothing alike. It's hard enough to hold a wet rifle let alone do a triple. (That's when the rifle spins around three times in the air then you catch it)

The opposing team did well, but they had easy work with really big flags. You can’t do anything hard with big flags. Oh and those weren’t batons they were sabers. A replica samurai weapon.

So before you star bashing people know what you’re talking about and the elements that can affect color guard.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA who does this person think that they are? this is HILARIOUS....you? a moron? haha I think you are the furthest from a moron I have ever come into contact with...haha wow. some people's kids.

Stephanie Kaye said...

Um wow. This is hilarious.