Friday, September 19, 2008

Running on empty

You may think this post will have some sort of really deep meaning where I discuss depression, struggles, etc.

Nope, this post is about gas and the ridiculous situation that has developed in Nashville over the last 24 hours. Well, the last week really.

After Ike hit, gas prices in Nashville shot up. A station by my house that had been $3.53 last Thursday was $4.59 by Saturday morning. Thankfully I filled up on Thursday and haven't had to refill since.

After a couple days, things settled down a bit, and prices even dipped below $4.

And then something snapped last night.

On Friday morning, AAA reported that at least 85% of gas stations in Nashville were completely dry. People were waiting in line for hours to fill up, and apparently some tempers flared as well.

Two stations that still had supplies today are the two closest to my house. As I attempted to exit the interstate after work this evening, I quickly realized that the line on the ramp was actually the line to get gas. I took about a 20 minute detour to get a quarter mile up the road and on to my house. On this detour, I passed several stations with gas, and the scene was total anarchy.

Small corner stations with two pumps had dozens of cars in the lot, people with stalled cars because they had run out of gas while waiting, and just general craziness. Some of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed firsthand.

So tonight we went bowling and get back about midnight and the line is still all the way to the exit! One of the stations had run out of gas, so I apparently live next to one of a handful of stations in town that still has something to sell. Being midnight in the 37207, a collection of police cars had developed at the station in order to try and control the 100 or so cars still trying to fill up. There were people wandering the street, completely oblivious to the traffic coming through. It was the epitome of stupid.

Apparently help is on the way; I just hope it comes in time for me to fill up. I'm at a quarter tank, and it's not looking good on making it to church on my own Sunday... here's hoping.

1 comment:

Haley said...

Well, I for one, am very disappointed about the lack of discussion on your depression and struggles.

Guess I'll just have to keep crossing my fingers.