Sunday, February 27, 2005

The results are in

It came down to the wire tonight on who would win the contest. Million Dollar Baby? Parker wins. Aviator? I win. Sideways? Maya wins. And, as you know, Million Dollar Baby won, so congratulations to Parker on winning the Oscar Blog Contest. He won mainly by picking Million Dollar Baby and Born Into Brothels for Best Picture honors. The final tallies were:

Parker: 64 pts (9 correct)
Matt: 60 pts (10)
John: 58 pts (10)
Mark: 47 pts (11)
Maya: 43 pts (9)
Ashley: 29 pts (6)

And, just so that everyone knows: Hannah: 50 pts (10 correct)

During the show, I was surprised at how many awards The Aviator was winning, and I gained more and more confidence in my pick for Best Picture. Then, Hillary Swank and Clint Eastwood won, and it was all over. Oh, and John: If you hadn't picked the underdog, you would've won. Congrats.

Overall, my impressions of the night were fairly good. I think Chris Rock did a great opening monologue, and he was a much better host than Queen Latifah at the Grammy's. I liked how they put all of the lesser award nominees together to make it a little faster. Although it was over 3 hours long, it didn't feel like it very often. And they need to go back to featuring each of the Best Pictuere nominees throughout the night rather than the best original song nominees, which could have been done in a 5 minute medley.

7 comments:

P "N" K said...

"MAKE MY DAY"

jimaal said...

"I liked how they put all of the lesser award nominees together to make it a little faster."

yes, because these are the people that make the movie what it is and work just as hard if not 2394873987 times harder than the people that get to actually walk up on stage... but hey just never mind them because they are boring and basically anybody in the world-- even infants born with only a half of brain could do their job. yes yes yes lets give them less time.

wtf come on now. tv pro taught me well. let them take uno more one minute to walk to the stage and say THANKSSSSSSSSSS. they are just as important.

markymark said...

ok, you know what i mean. yes, these people are very important to the film industry, but, in all reality, no one watches the awards to see who won for best costume design. Looking back on it, I think I'm more indifferent than I came off as. I am very glad that they give out these awards, and I think that they are very well deserved, but placing the nominees together and close to the microphone did probably cut a half hour off of the running time, making it more likely that people will watch the whole show to the end, so it was probably a good ratings move. it will piss of a lot of film and awards show purists, and probably rightly so, but I like that they at least attempted to make a change, attempted to improve the show, attempted to make it more viewer friendly. Whether or not their attempts were successful is open to debate.

jimaal said...

oh mark, won't you dance with me?

markymark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
markymark said...

oh kali, anytime you'd like

hannah said...

thanks mark.