Saturday, April 22, 2006

Random Sports Rant

Can I just say that I love NBA playoff time? Granted, they go on for far too long, and the Timberwolves aren't in it for a second straight season, but I love the energy and excitement surrounding a game, especially the later rounds and the later games within the rounds. Sure these guys may not be playing for the pride of a school like the NCAA tournament, but underdogs still exist (You don't have to look back too far to see an eighth seed Denver knock out Seattle, or a six seed Houston winning the title). Plus, these guys are incredibly talented.

People harp on the NBA for having selfish players who don't care about the fundamentals, but instead just try to glorify themselves through showboating and theatrics. And, for some players, that is totally the case. But the same can be said of the NCAA. Most NBA players have a huge respect for the game, and the reason they appear to be playing with a lack of fundamentals is because they're playing against the best players in the world. Put your average NCAA player in that situation and they would look foolish.

Maybe it's the relatability of college basketball that makes people more excited. They see a bunch of people on the court who aren't too different from them. Most are skinny guys with an OK jump shot or big guys who know how to throw their weight around. Sounds kind of like a YMCA pick up game to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I love college basketball, and I'd be hard pressed to make a case for another sporting event being superior to the NCAA Tournament. But, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching people who play for a living doing what they are paid to do. Given the choice of seeing Duke's first round game or the Cavs' firs game, I'd take LeBron over JJ 9 times out of 10.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

No comments: