Monday, April 10, 2006

Jellicle Songs for Jellicle cats

All right, all sorts of fun going on down here in the 'Ville...

First: Yes, there were tornados this weekend, but the nearest was probably 20 miles north, so it didn't impact my situation at all. It did cause quite a bit of damage, especially around my friend Jessica's town of Hendersonville (her house is fine). The outlook for the next week looks great, so it doesn't look like this will become a weekly event.

Second: My parents and Abby came down this weekend! They arrived Friday afternoon, and we had a very low-key weekend, eating at great restaurants, playing cards, and seeing the Belmont production of Cats, which was thoroughly entertaining, especially because we were far enough back that the Spandex wasn't overly distracting. It was good to see them for the first time in four months, and I'll be seeing them in just another month already, so it wasn't a big deal to say goodbye.

Third: Jon, Tim, Ryan, and I went house hunting this weekend, and found one that should work for us, although we are still going to look at one more just around the corner. I'm glad this is coming together. It's also looking like I will be home for the summer, as I have no leads for paying internships or temp work down here. But, if something comes up, I'll be taking it if it fits. So, if you hear of any opportunities down here, let me know. And if you or someone you know is looking for a room to rent for the summer in Nashville, let me know too and I'll hook them up.

Fourth: Belmont has been taking over by CMT, a rather annoying situation. Tonight is the CMT Awards, which are, for some odd reason, being held in our own Curb Event Center. This means that they've basically blocked off every convenient route to the academic buildings. Thankfully, I have no classes on Monday, and I'm working, but no one's going to come in since they'd have a hard time getting here. I can look out the window and see the red carpet. It looks so out of place here.

But, if you want to see a bit of Belmont, watch CMT tonight at 8/7C. Should be interesting at least, especially if you enjoy country music. And Jeff Foxworthy, 'cause he's hosting. Oh joy, oh rapture, how glad I am to be in the studio tonight.

Fifth, and finally: As this is Easter week, we have been graciously presented with both Thursday and Friday off of class, which can only mean there's a road trip to be had. Me and 11 (I think) others will be heading to just outside of Dallas on Wednesday for a long weekend on the lake, courtesy the Russells. A good time will be had by all, and I am even looking forward to the 12-hour car trip both ways. Again, good times anticipated, followed by a few final weeks of class, and then back home (for sure the week of May 14-21, most likely for the summer).

And now, I leave you with a problem from my Accounting II textbook ( and by "my", I mean Rachel's, since I don't actually own the text). This was presented for an entire day in class a few weeks ago, and Ryan and I couldn't stop laughing. I ronically, we seemed to be the only immature people in the whole class, but if being mature means not laughing at this, I'm perfectly fine with being immature the rest of my days:

33. The Woods Enterprises prepared the following standard costs for the production of one stuffed pooh:

Direct Materials: 1.5 pounds @ $2 per lb
Direct Labor: 2 hours of assembly @ $15 per hour

Actual production costs for the production of 1000 stuffed poohs required 1750 pounds of stuffing at a cost of $1.95 per pound and 1950 labor hours at $15.25 per hour.

So our professor spent the entire class talking about the production of stuffed poohs, outsourcing your pooh production, and so on and so forth.

No comments: