Friday, March 25, 2005

A John Deere Letter

Dear everyone this applies to (you know who you are),

I would like to speak to you regarding the payment of your college tuition. I realize that your parents have decided to pay your way, along with making generous contributions to your social-life fund. And you know what, I'm not entirely bitter about this (just a little bit). However, PLEASE remember one thing: you are so insanely blessed you have no idea. Don't go through school not trying just because your parents are footing the bill.

I'm not sure exactly how many people this applies to, but I've had a couple of conversations with people who it seems fit this criteria. These people are by no means slacking through school, so if they read this, I'm not criticizing them.

I have so much respect for people who pay their own way through school. I think they have a much better appreciation for their education, and work harder to make sure they're getting their money's worth.

All of this to say: if you pay your own way, don't get discouraged; if your on a free ride, don't treat it like one.

That's my ranting for the day.

Mark

No comments: