Monday, January 15, 2007

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been

Sometimes I think I might be gaining characteristics of people that I don't really appreciate. Hopefully I caught it in time and will make the necessary corrections. I guess we'll find out.

After two days of rain almost coming here but never quite making it far enough east, we now have justification for the cloud cover. It's not necessarily pouring or anything, but I would much rather have something to give a purpose to the darkness. Darkness for darkness' sake is annoying.

I ran my farthest and longest this morning, which felt really good. I'm going to try and sustain at least that distance, and hopefully add somewhere between a quarter and a half mile each week. I'm not exactly sure at what point that will stop and I will be satisfied with the time or distance. Maybe I can do 6 miles a day. That sounds crazy just to write, but I think it might be realistic eventually. By graduation anyway.

I was talking with Doug yesterday about "Children of Men", and he made the observation that he thought the plot was a bit too archetypal and cheesy, with the whole baby being born to save the world, having a hard time getting a room in which to have the child, the unwed mother, all that. I, however, think that there is an extremely big deviation from the prototype: everyone recognizes that this child is the hope of the world for a better future. Anytime anyone realized that the woman was pregnant, the became shocked. Which also brings up another change, in that the people didn't expect it. While there were some that were looking for a way to reverse the mutation or sickness that had made women infertile, no one expected it to correct itself on its own, which made the appearance of the child that much more exciting. Whereas Jesus came to a world looking for a savior and remained unrecognized, this child came to a world that had given up hope on rescue and was immediately acknowledged.

Again, don't miss this movie. It is spectacular.

No comments: