Thursday, January 11, 2007

Another evening at Reverb

So I was bored (crazy, I know), and I started hitting the "Next blog" button at the top of the page to see what some random people were writing about. After a couple of Spanish sites, I came across a blog just started by a college senior in PA named Aubrielyn. Sandwiched between two pretentious quotes was one of the longest blog posts I've ever read, and it was all regarding her lack of a serious boyfriend, how she's OK with that, and how she hates when her friends are there for her when they're single and completely ignore her when they're in relationships (all of which are decent and justifiable observations). The way she presented her ideas, however, makes them sound pretty unhealthy:


I've realized once and for all that where I am at in my life at the present time...I don't WANT to be in a relationship. Not even a little bit. I am a single, very independent person and I always have been. God willing, I always will be. And that used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore because Ive realized that that's just the way that I am. I'm better by myself. I'm best by myself. I know who I am. I'm my best friend. I like who I am for the most part. I'm by myself and I don't mind being by myself, I really don't. and Im not lying. Im dead serious. Something that used to nag at me constantly suddenly feels like a good thing.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound like the healthiest place in the world. I'm all for self confidence and self respect; a life like this, so completely self-serving, just seems lonely and pathetic. I am personally in a position where I don't need a relationship, but that doesn't mean that I am at my best in that place. There is a difference between being OK that you're not in a relationship and thinking that you are at the peak of your existence as such.

I have no idea what this post is about. I have no right to analyze the thoughts of a person that I know nothing about. Unless that fact that she feels the need to express these thoughts for the world to read gives me some semblance of that right. Who knows.

No comments: