Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's like looking into the face of God and seeing him smiling back at you, saying, "You are my most wondrous creation."

Sunday night, Ben and I went to the greatest show on Earth: Mute Math.

They were playing at City Hall, and the show started at 8, so we got there at 8 in order to minimize the down time. They surprised us with not 2 but 3 openers, so we were stuck listening to some crap band for a half hour that included a DJ that wore a koala mask and stroked fake birds during the set. Never did catch their name.

Next up was Jonezetta, who did a fine job with their dance/pop/rock, which we decided was The Killers meets Brandtson. The final warm-up was The Whigs, who were pretty disappointing overall.

But none of that really mattered once Mute Math took the stage. Musically, they were just as spectacular as last spring. Production-wise, though, they took it to another level. They had three banks of 10 sets of florescent bulbs that blinked during specific songs, they had strobes in the back, and a massive bare bulb that hung from the back of the stage. It was dang good. In the encore, Paul weant around and smashed the florescent bulbs with mallets, and it was so rock and roll it was great. That's pretty impressive when a techno/arena rock band can be rock and roll.

And then Monday happened. And by happened, I mean just kind of hung there. I got up early (6:45) to register for classes. After 20 minutes of fiddling with BIC and Classfinder, I was able to get in the classes I need, which means I have the following schedule this spring, all on Tuesday and Thursday:

9:30-10:45 - Legal Issues in the Music Business
12:30-1:45 - Strategic Management
2:00- 3:15 - Record Company Operations
3:30- 4:45 - Artist Management

And that's all she wrote. I will now be able to intern with, most likely, Showdown on Monday and Gotee on Wednesday and Friday. It's gonna be dang sweet, I can hardly stand it.

I was unable to go back to sleep after registering, so I went running, which I've been doing MWF for a couple weeks now. The difference this time is it was cold. Not Minnesota cold, by any means, but in the 30s nonetheless. I made it through the three miles in record time, mostly because I was cold and wanted to get inside but also cuz I was just numb.

Showdown was Showdown as usual, and I took a quick nap before my Reverb shift last night. Once home, I made my first ever attempt at meatballs. They turned out ok, but nothing to write home about. I need to add more salt, use a little more oatmeal, and I would love to try them in a crockpot sometime. That means, however, that I need a crockpot. Maybe I should add that to my Christmas list.

Did you know you can buy/sell e-mail adresses on eBay?

I go home a week from tomorrow, which is extremely weird to think about but will also be extremely fun, so I'm excited. I also have a secret plan I am hatching for Thursday night that may be the most ridiculous/lucrative thing I've ever done. I'm trying my hardest not to get my hopes up about this, but it has all the potential in the world to be amazing. I guess we'll find out by Friday!

No comments: