Friday, October 07, 2005

All good things

1. Today "The World According To..." turns 1! So many good times. My favorite archived posts I think are:
a.

My Weird Dream

So last night I had a dream that I was eating lunch with Nicki Spear and Ashley and then Nicki said something about inviting Amanda Hanson too, and then Amanda appeared next to her. Then Kareem Abdul-Jabbar came up and talked to Ashley, and that wasn't weird for anyone because he was her father. Then I woke up.
- October 11, 2004


b.
From My Calendar

"I was coming to work early this morning down Fifth Avenue in the predawn darkness and it reminded me of the old days when I was doin the Today show, because I saw the homless people in the church shleters and the park benches....And you feel great sympathy for them. But you also envy the extra hour of sleep that they're getting...you go by and say, 'If I were them, I would still be sleeping.'"
NBC Newsman Tom Brokaw, filling in for Matt Lauer

I, personally, appreciate Mr. Brokaw's honesty. I too am jealous of the homeless people's ability to sleep in.
-October 9, 2004


c.
Random things that I don't Understand

1. Killing/Injuring Senior Citizens: Every once in a while, I hear stories about people who killed their grandparents or burglars who stab 87 year-old women named Iris. I think there is a heirarchy of acceptablility in killing (from most acceptable to least)

1. Men aged 21-55
2. Men aged 55-70
3. Women aged 30-55
4. Men aged 70+
5. Women aged 21-30
6. Men 16-21
7. Women 70+
8. All women youner than 21 and men younger than 16

And the second thing...
2. Why is it that news programs have this fascination with stories of abused animals. Do they really have nothing more important to report than a guy who got arrested for having 8 malnourished dogs? I mean, sure, you can report it in the middle of the newscast, but does it have to be your top story? What does that about our values when they report a reclusive old woman with 75 disease-ridden cats over the death of two people in a car accident? I could care less about the affairs of Health and Human Services and Animal Control. Tell me what really matters, what could impact my life in a tangible way. Don't give me some 20-something intern reporting live from the reposessed animal farm.
-November 10, 2004


d.
MARRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Hey everybody! I just wanted to take this oportunity to thank everyone who donated money to buy clothes for the family on Thursday. Me and my dad brought the presents to there house yesterday, and they definetly needed what we got for them. Oh, and the girls looked like they would absolutley LOVE the clothes, and the boy looked about the right size too. I can not wait until tommorrow, as I will spending the day with my dads side of the family. Its not that its better with them, just different, as my mom's side has a half dozen kids under 6 year's old, and my sister Abby is the youngest on my dads side. So yeah anyway, I just wanted to thank everybody again for coming to the partay, and I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!

P.S. This entire post, while completly heartfelt, contains several glaring spelling and grammatical errors that are driving Maya insane right now. She probably wishes she had acess to my blog so she can edit it herself, but, alas, she can't! Merry Christmas Mayah Kuhn!
-December 25, 2004


Yeah, that's the first 3 months, I'll revisit other posts in later reflections.

2. It's cold! Well, maybe "cool" is a better adjective. It's maybe 55 today, and the collective high for the next 48 hours is 65. I love this and wish it could stay forever. But that's not realistic. For now, that is...

3. A week from today I'll be in New Orleans! I'm starting to get really excited for this, and I think it'll be a great trip and a great experience. Plus, Autumn's coming on the trip too, and if we can find two other people who know how to play Spades or Pinochle, the drive down will be a breeze.

4. My New Testament mid-term was moved to a week from Tuesday! This is some of the best news I've had in a while, as it cuts my test load on Tuesday from 3 to 2, and gives me more time to prep for what should be the hardest test of my college career thus far.

5. Wallace and Gromit comes out today! I'm hoping to see it sometime tomorrow, either afternoon or after Pop/Rock Showcase (which the videos are looking AMAZING for, fyi). The movie's received great reviews, so my expectations are high, and I have a feeling this will not be a repeat of "History of Violence".

That's all she wrote, peace out.

No comments: