Friday, September 16, 2005

Meh

So I had my first tests of the year this week, one each in accounting, history of recording business, and microeconomics. Coming out of the accounting test, I wasn't sure how it went. I knew that I did fine on the application portion, but the multiple choice were kind of up in the air. Well, turns out I got a 98 on that test, so I was extremely happy about that, especially after hearing all of the accounting horror stories. HisRecBus went fine, 120 MC that I don't find out my results for until Tuesday, and same with econ, which was only 20 MC, but I never really know whether I did ok on those or not. Overall, not too shabby.

Here's a dilemma: should I study more for tests to relieve stress going in, making me feel prepared, or keep cramming the night before, feeling anxious going into the test, and do just as well (at least I don't think I'd do too much better the first way)? I guess the latter has always worked for me in the past. I say change is bad.

I have to give a biographical speech Thursday on Bob Dylan. I originally wanted to do it on c. S. Lewis, but someone else had already taken him by the time the sheet got to me, so I made a split-second decision and went with Dylan. Why? I have no clue. I need to come up with an interesting perspective on his life now, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Can someone please tell me I'm really stupid for wanting to see "Just Like Heaven"? And, if it's actually in a theater around you, can someone please see "Everythig is Illuminated" and tell me how good it is? That'd be great.

Second season of "The Office" starts this Tuesday, September 20, at 8:30 CST. Have I menitoned how much I love this show before? If it's getting annoying, just tell me, but I would really like to see this show get the following it deserves.

In a rare moment of politicalness, I would like to say that I think President Bush's speech last night presented some excellent ideas. I love the homesteading project, and I like that he continues to take responsibility for the federal government's failures in response, even though there's no way you could blame him for all of them. I do have a bit of a problem with the amount of money that he's talking about throwing down there. There are really 3 ways to get this money: 1. Print it up, which would have dire consequences on the entire economy and devalue the dollar to a point so far below what it has ever been. 2. Re-appropriate the funds fromother projects: This has some potential, but it would be nearly impossible to fully do, especially with the aremd forces projects in the middle east, which, contrary to popular opinion, I don't think we can just abandon. 3. Borrow the money, basically what we'll end up doing, putting us further into the debt of countries like China.

None of the solutions are ideal, and I would love to see a combination of the last two done, but I fear we'll end up going loan heavy. I mean, $200 billion is a crapload of money by any standards.

Realistically though, this event is rahter unprecedented, especially in the U. S. Sure, natural disasters take place around the world all the time, but it is an extremely rare occasion that they displace a million people, and even more rare that this happened in an industrialized nation. since the Tsunami is kind of in a league of it's own, I guess the closest comparison would be the 1999 earthquake i9n Izmit, Turkey that killed thousands more people (17k in all), but was also centralized. I guess its hard to compare the destruction from Katrina to anything else we've ever seen, now that I try and do so. I guess an unprecedented disaster requires an unprecedented response.

I just wish we didn't have to jeopardize the future to deal with the present.

1 comment:

P "N" K said...

Ahhhhh don't we all wish that. But if that was true, then I'd have Social Security money in 45 or 50 years.