Monday, September 19, 2005

I will try to fix you

So last night was amazing.

We got to Starwood around 6:30, which gave us plenty of time to find a spot on the lawn. If you've been to Starwood, it's an outdoor amphitheater, with reserved seating under a canopy around the stage, and then general admission on a large, open-air lawn behind the seats. We found a spot about half-way up the lawn, just left of center stage. Rilo Kiley started 15 minutes earlier than we had thought they would (7:45), and they only played about a 45 minute set. They did a great job (I think they basically played "More Adventurous"), finishing with "Portions for Foxes", my favorite song of the set.

We waited another 45 minutes or so, and then the main event: Coldplay.

They started with "Square One", which was a decent enough intro, but things really got moving when they broke into "Politik". They did an amazing job with this one live. They had a video wall behind the band that either showed some abstract/psychedelic images, or showed the band live, but usually put through one of several filters, which made it look very cool. The lighting was incredibly well done too, and spot on with the timing.

They did a nice mix of old and new stuff, which was one concern I had going in. One of the highlights of the show for me was when they played "'Til Kingdom Come." It was originally written for Johnny Cash to record, and he was all set to before he died last year. Well, being in Nashville, they felt very honored to be able to dedicate it to him and June Carter. They played it wonderfully, and then transitioned into Cash's "Ring of Fire". It was weird to hear that song played by a British pop/rock band, but it totally fit, and the crowd absolutely loved it.

They "ended" the show with "Clocks", I think, but of course they had three more songs to play, so we were happy with that. Sitting here now, I'm trying to remember the last three; I'm pretty sure it was "In My Place", Swallowed in the Sea", and I know they ended with "Fix You". When they did that big build up after the second chorus, it was so sweet, the built up the lighting and video and everything to a crescendo with "Tears stream down your face/etc..." Very cool way to end the show.

My friend Jon had a camera, and he posted his pictures here.
So yeah, that was my night. It was incredible, definitely worth the 35 bucks I paid for it, and if they came to Nashville next week I'd pay to see it again.

Simply amazing.

2 comments:

Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daryl said...

I was there too!!!! This show completely blew me away. I was so pumped up afterwards I drove all the way back to Memphis that same night without a problem (a a little help from some Red Bull). I can't wait to see them again. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.