Monday, July 31, 2006

Seven kinds of smoke

I was going to wait and post later this week, but then i realized that
A. That would be far too long between posts
2. this is my last chance to post in July of 2006
III. I need to warn people. Everyone.

This week, among work and other activities, I have seen and will be seeing several movies in the theater. Last night was "You, Me, and Dupree", a rather mindless comedy that I enjoyed somewhat. Probably won't buy it, but I don't regret seeing it in the theater anyway. Tomorrow night will be "Miami Vice", which, all indications say, should be excellent.

Tonight, however, was "Lady in the Water". Let me preface this by saying that I love "The Sixth Sense", I think it's a modern masterpiece, and that M. Night's movies since have been various shades of decent. This film, on the other hand, was rather disappointing. Shyamalan created this elaborate fairy tale, I'll give him a bit of credit for originality, but the story did not translate well to the screen, coming off as confusing and boring. Kevin and I decided that it probably would be better if you went into it as a comedy, there was so much ridiculousness. That's right, ridiculousness.

I'm not even sure I can recommend it as a rental. That's pretty sad.

No comments: