Thursday, January 01, 2009

Picking up the pieces of my broken promises

On September 23, I promised a series of posts about the wonders of internet streaming. Well, here we are, exactly 100 days later, and I've only come through with one of those. By now I'm assuming you've all familiarized yourself with Pandora. If not, read this past post and get with the program, because we're moving on to Hulu.

Hulu has been around for over a year now, and began with the backing of Fox and NBC as a way to let people keep up with their shows outside of the network sites. Over time, they've added classic shows, show clips, and full-length movies (YouTube has since followed suit).

Yes, there are advertisements. But, in my opinion, they aren't terribly annoying. I mean, it takes you thirty seconds to fast-forward through the commercials on DVR; this just makes it easier for you. The selection is wide, the quality is solid, and they continue to add new content and features to the service.

For example: You can share and embed entire videos. Sounds like YouTube right? Here's where Hulu raises the bar: they allow you to edit the video down to a specific clip and share or embed that part only. So, rather than post an entire episode of Arrested Development on here (which, by the way, they have every episode from all three seasons posted on the site (watch this show: it will change the way you think of television, comedy, and amputees)), I can post my favorite scene:





Pretty sweet, right? That's what I thought. Now get yourself acquainted with this one quick, because tomorrow I will be showing you the wonder that is lala.com, and that will, undoubtedly, change your life if you will only let it.

No comments: