Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm probably losing a couple jewels in my crown for this...

I know it's wrong to laugh at this, but we got a piece of junk mail yesterday for a former occupant that had this tagline across the front:

"You can help feed an elderly Jewish person for just $2.40!"

It's from the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews, and while I'm always in support of helping the less fortunate, it just caught me off guard. That, and there's a testimonial from Pat Robertson on the back of the envelope. Not really your best selling point, Rabbi Eckstein.

This also may be one of the most expensive sponsorship programs I've ever seen. If I check "Yes! Rabbi Eckstein, I want to help save poor elderly Soviet Jews this winter by providing food baskets and other essentials through Isaiah 58," I can sponsor one person for one week for $17. $17! That's over $70 a month! And when did the Soviet Union reunite? Ooo, I just found a recommendation from Pat Boone too! Score!

But, again, $2.40 a day? I think I could feed myself on $2.40 a day if I really tried, and I don't have near the resources and connections the Rabbi claims to hold. Eh? It reminds of that Rebecca St. James song that I hate (that could describe a lot, I'll try to get more specific) with the homeless guy who can eat on $1.50 a week. That is the opposite extreme of this; if you're not eating for free from a shelter or something, I really don't see how you can feed yourself on $78 a year in the US. Just not possible.

And now, for something completely different:

No comments: