Thursday, June 14, 2007

Am I becoming one of those people?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007


What a waste.


I went into today knowing that it would be a bit of an odd work day, with lots of small jobs and running around. I didn’t plan on it being what it became though.


We started at 8, and began the day by fixing a problem with someone’s kitchen laminate. This went fine, and we next headed over to discuss some flooring options with Sherry Solstad, which took about an hour, but was productive nonetheless. Next up was a trip south of Pillager to install a flight of steps. The carpet we put in was a brown berber, which actually had potential to look decent, had it not been squeezed between white berber and white tile; I can’t really explain how terrible a choice this was, you’ll just have to trust me. To give you an idea of how random this house was, there was a point in the basement where I could see six (yes, six) different types of flooring: an area of large white tile, small white tile, large blue and gray tile, white berber, a blue and purple plush carpet, and the new brown steps. Quite ridiculous.


At this point, dad went in to work at church, and my job was to go up to the carpet store and get the boxes of wood that we would need for tomorrow’s job. This is always easier said than done, as this store in particular is infamous for its disorganization, at least in installer circles. When I arrived at the store, it took a good 25 minutes for them to figure out which job I was supposed to be picking wood up for, as the one we had been told we were going to do was not the job they had planned for us to do… seriously, how do these people get anything done? After another 15 minutes spent loading the product and getting unneeded directions, I followed the store owner to the job site, where we were told the area wouldn’t be ready for flooring for at least another week. What?!? Another week? There was a substantial breakdown in communication somewhere along the line, which seems to happen quite often in this business.


After checking with several other options for work tomorrow, dad was unable to come up with anything. So, as of now, I have the day off. It’s weird, because the longer I work at this job the more I want to have steady work; my first summer of flooring I would long for days like tomorrow, even pray that the schedule would fall apart so I could have a day to do nothing. Now, I’m kind of disappointed, and even went so far as to suggest potential schedule changes to my dad to see if there was anything he hadn’t tried yet. When did I become that guy?


I think my day off will consist of a lot of reading, as I am 200 pages into “Order of the Phoenix” and it has sucked me in completely. There’s a good chance I will be able to lay out on the dock for a bit too, and I might be able to squeeze in one of the Die Hard movies, which I purchased this evening.


Other recent purchases:
Paramore’s “Riot” – quite good, it’s been growing on me since yesterday.

Family Guy Volume 4 – These boxed sets are starting to piss me off: I paid $20 (on sale from $35, mind you), and it only comes with 14 episodes! What happened to the 27 episode boxes of yore? I haven’t watched them yet, so they may be worth it, but we’ll see.

Seinfeld Season 7 – I caught on, and now wait for the next season to come out until I buy the previous one. This allowed me to get this one for $17. I haven’t watched any yet, but it’s Seinfeld; how can you go wrong?


Other things on the agenda tomorrow:
- Fill out a profile on Monster
- Submit my resume to Big Loud Bucks (I hate country, but it’s an industry job that fits me and I have a shot at…)
- NBA Finals Game 4 (I’m feeling a sweep, but I hope Cleveland can pull out at least one win)


11:38, warm, surprisingly, lasagna

No comments: