Wednesday, March 18, 2009

He is hard to chase, but good to catch and he can change the world with his hands behind his back


One week later, here's where I've been and where I am:

My MRI on Thursday went quickly and well. I met with my doctor after and he said it was definitely a herniation of the disk between the L4 and L5 vertebrae. Not the worst he'd ever seen, but still bad enough that he recommended I have a cortisone shot as soon as possible and start physical therapy. Apparently, before getting an epidural, you need to be off ibuprofen and any other blood thinners for 5 days; since I'd dropped 8 Advil the day before, I was stuck waiting til Tuesday.

In the meantime, this weekend was Matt's bachelor party out at the river house. 7 guys, 3 days, 1 house, and lots of food: who could ask for anything more? It was a wetter weekend than we would have liked, but still a blast. We played countless rounds of darts, watched hours of college basketball, and even made time for a couple games of Risk. Oh, and there were crossbows involved. If that's not a bachelor party, I don't know what is.

By the end of the weekend, the predisone I was on was really starting to kick in. I could definitely feel improvement. That didn't stop me, however, from getting my scheduled epidural yesterday. The process was hardly painful at all, and I could feel the improvement by the end of the day. Today was about the same as yesterday, and they say it is most effective after 3 days, so I can't imagine how I'll feel tomorrow, which will also feature my first foray into the world of physical therapy. Recovery is looking to be a 3-4 week process, at least that's the time frame for my first round of physical therapy and follow-up with my doctor. I really think I'm going to good to go after this, thank the Lord.

Tonight, I got to see one of my favorite new artists (and the 2009 Grammy winner for Best New Artist) perform live at the Cannery Ballroom: ADELE! I'm glad my back is doing well enough to stand for a couple hours, because I would have been rather sad if I'd missed this show. If you have never listened to ADELE you should check her out. I can't think of a good person to compare her voice to. She is really just someone you need to experience for yourself.

And she certainly did not disappoint tonight! A simple show, opened by a new Irish band called The Script (quite good themselves, their debut album was just released in the US yesterday), ADELE let the music and her voice shine. She's an understated performer, with some light, mostly incoherent banter, and an arsenal of originals and well-chosen covers that combined for an incredible experience. Simply awesome.

And, to top it all off, I finished the project I've been working on for the last 6 weeks at work today. Not sure it could get much better than this!

No comments: